The idea to have the project on IAA was developed following two consecutive workshops, which were held in Kumasi, Ghana, and Bagamoyo, Tanzania, in March and May 2013, respectively.
The objective of the workshops were:
1) Identify strengths and weaknesses of traditional approaches to outreach
2) Assess the current level of outreach in universities in Ghana and Tanzania
3) Discuss comparable outreach experiences from Denmark
4) Develop an outreach strategy for selected agriculture and aquatic products in Ghana and Tanzania
Participants of the workshop on Strategizing Outreach for Sustainable Agriculture and Aquatic products in Tanzania and Ghana, which was held at Livingstone Hotel, in Bagamoyo, Tanzania, on 24th – 26th May 2013.
The findings of the two workshops demonstrated that African universities have vast
experiences regarding dissemination of scientific findings, particularly on production of
fish, horticultural and agricultural crops and livestock. Thus, a resolution was reached to
take advantage of the existing aquaculture and agricultural scientific information, to
develop a case study of Integrated Aquaculture and Agriculture (IAA) both in Ghana and
In November 2013, the team was able to meet in Kumasi, Ghana, to complete the
application that was submitted to DANIDA and accepted for funding. Implementation of
project officially commenced in January 2014 and was to be completed in December
2015. However, the project received a no cost extension, which will come to an end in
December 2016. The overall objective of the project is for south partners universities’
contribute to solve major societal challenges through communication and dissemination
of IAA research findings at all stakeholder levels. It was further agreed that the project
should proceed in three phases, which are:
1) Mapping of institutional capacity, stakeholders, outreach measures and technical and environmental information.
2) Develop demonstration sites for research dissemination
3) Roll-out of products (which include production of outreach material, evaluation of impacts/outreach measures and to recommend additional outreach capacity or needs)
Group photo of the team that met in Kumasi, Ghana, (13th to 16th November 2013) to finalize the project proposal.